Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tofu











Our family likes tofu, well except for Andrew, but why write about it? Because the Tofu I am writing about is not a food it's a cat. Last year we had to put our cat DJ to sleep. She had multiple health issues and was 12years old, so it was hard to do but the best thing for her. Since then we have talked about getting another cat, but with two kids and not much sleep it hasn't seemed like the right timing. Then last weekend, Jared surprised me by saying, right in front of Hazel, that he thought it was time to get another cat. Wow! You all know my husband and if you know him well you see the significance of this statement. With our previous two cats I practically had to beg him to let me have them, so even though I didn't feel too ready to have another responsibility in my life I knew I needed to go along with this decision. On Saturday we went to our local PAWS shelter with a list of cats we were interested in from their website. The first one we saw in the "visiting" room was Tofu. She sounded like a good pet for our family because her description said that she was young and playful. So here we are, all four of us in this small room with this cat. Hazel was trying to pick her up and following her everywhere. Andrew was screeching and throwing cat toys. Jared and I were trying to contain them. What was Tofu doing? She was just walking around unaffected by anything that was going on. She was definitely good with kids. After her we visited with a kitty and an older cat. The kitty was playful but too small to be around a rambunctious toddler. The older cat hid under the chair to get away from the kids. It looked like Tofu was the one for us. We wouldn't change a thing about her except her name. Hazel liked the name Eleanor and so did I, but when we found out that she had already had two kittens and adopted five others we decided to call her Maia which means "good mother". We were disappointed to find out that we couldn't take her with us that day because she had to be spade before leaving the shelter. We were able to pick her up yesterday and I will let you judge from the pictures how she is doing in her new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment